Sō Percussion’s programs encompass a wide range of activities that require administrative support. In addition to our ongoing internship program, we periodically post positions here that are available.
Sō Percussion offers an internship for college-level percussionists, musicians, composers, or anyone else interested in learning how a not-for-profit arts organization and chamber ensemble operates in today’s musical climate.
Sō Percussion has been at the forefront of contemporary percussion music for the better part of the last two decades. Sō has toured internationally, collaborated with and premiered pieces by many of today’s most innovative composers, and is currently the Ensemble-in-Residence at Princeton University.
We are looking for someone to be a part of the behind the scenes team that makes Sō Percussion a successful organization! The ideal candidate is someone who has an interest in music, nonprofit work, and community building. With some expected training, we are looking for someone that is at home navigating a room full of percussion instruments and working as a part of an admin team; with a collaborative spirit, an ability to take initiative and work independently, and interest in producing concerts throughout the tri-state area!
What you will learn
- How to effectively manage a touring ensemble.
- Administrative duties behind a non-profit arts organization ranging from Marketing, Development, Operations, and more.
- Maintaining a Studio Rehearsal and Event Production Studio.
- Logistics of moving instruments and producing concerts through NYC and the surrounding area.
- Interfacing with donors, guest artists, concert promoters, production staff, and more.
What we require
- Background in music with some knowledge of the contemporary scene and percussion.
- Organized, with the ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
- Able to successfully interface with audience members, contractors, board members, and other professional contacts.
- Able to do some heavy-lifting (when necessary).
- Able to work within a hybrid work model.
What we provide
- Access to Sō Percussion’s Studio for rehearsals and practice sessions.
- The chance to meet and interact with the members of Sō Percussion, and with their roster of world renowned collaborators.
- Mentorship sessions with Sō Percussion, Staff, and more.
- We ask for and offer a minimum of 5 hours of paid work each month with the potential for more.
Duration: 2 Years
Minimum 5 hours/month, Maximum of 10 hours per month – 48 weeks per year for two years total. Each year runs from July 1 – June 30. Opportunities to reapply for the Sō Percussion internship will be available to each intern after their two years have been completed.
Pay: Hourly Pay Rate is: $17/hour *. Additional event or production pay is commensurate of hours required. This is an hourly/paid internship with a range of commitments and opportunities.
* Hourly rates are evaluated at the end of each FY (July 1 – June 30) and updated rates will be communicated at the beginning of each year (July 1).
Scheduling: Interns are given flexibility to schedule their work times for Sō percussion based on their individual school/work/other requirements.
Location: In Person/Remote * – New York City based required. Sō Percussion Studio: 20 Grand Ave., #205 Brooklyn, NY 11205
* All In-Person work and requirements will continue to be evaluated by the current status of the COVID-19 Pandemic and based on recommendations by the CDC. The Sō Percussion COVID-19 Policy can be reviewed here.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.