Sō Percussion offers a partial paid internship for college-level percussionists, musicians, composers, or anyone else interested in learning how a chamber ensemble operates in today’s musical climate.
Sō Percussion has been at the forefront of contemporary percussion music for the better part of the last two decades. We have toured internationally, worked closely with, and premiered pieces by many of today’s leading composers, and are currently the Ensemble-in-Residence at Princeton University.
We’re looking for anyone to be a part of the team that works behind the scenes to make Sō Percussion a successful organization: someone who is equally at home navigating a room full of percussion instruments, working as a part of an admin team, and producing concerts at our Brooklyn studio.
What you will learn
- How to effectively manage a touring ensemble.
- Administrative duties behind a non-profit arts organization ranging from Marketing, Development, Operations, and more.
- Maintaining a Studio Rehearsal and Event Production Studio.
- Logistics of moving instruments and producing concerts through NYC and the surrounding area.
- Interfacing with donors, guest artists, concert promoters, production staff, and more.
What we require
- Background in music with some knowledge of the contemporary scene and percussion.
- Organized, with the ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
- Able to successfully interface with audience members, contractors, board members, and other professional contacts.
- Able to do some heavy-lifting (when necessary).
- Able to work within a hybrid work model.
What we provide
- Access to Sō Percussion’s Studio for rehearsals and practice sessions.
- The chance to meet and interact with the members of Sō Percussion, and with their roster of world renowned collaborators.
- Mentorship sessions with Sō Percussion, Staff, and more.
- We ask for and offer a minimum of 5 hours of paid work each month with the potential for more.
This is a hourly/paid internship with range of commitments and opportunities. Prior to COVID, Interns were expected to work 4 hours per week and help with producing concerts as needed. We have adapted to a hybrid working model and base work on project needs, we still provide all line items from the list above. We ask for and offer a minimum of 5 hours of paid work each month with the potential for more.
Hourly Pay Rate is: $15/hour. Event pay is commensurate of hours required.
To apply for this position please fill out the form below. Sō percussion evaluates all forms at the end of the current month.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.