Sō Percussion offers a partial paid internship for college-level percussionists, musicians, composers, or anyone else interested in learning how a chamber ensemble operates in today’s musical climate.
Sō Percussion has been at the forefront of contemporary percussion music for the better part of the last two decades. We have toured internationally, worked closely with, and premiered pieces by many of today’s leading composers, and are currently the Ensemble-in-Residence at Princeton University.
We’re looking for anyone to be a part of the team that works behind the scenes to make Sō Percussion a successful touring ensemble: someone who is equally at home navigating a room full of percussion instruments, working as a part of an admin team, or producing concerts at our Brooklyn studio.
What you will learn
- How to effectively manage a touring ensemble.
- How to manage a studio and the behind the scenes administrative duties behind a non-profit arts organization.
- Maintaining a collection of percussion instruments, audio/electronic gear, and merchandise.
- Logistics of moving instruments through NYC and the surrounding area.
- Interfacing with concert promoters, stagehands, and event coordinators.
What we require
- Background in music with some knowledge of the contemporary scene and percussion.
- Organized, with the ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
- Able to successfully interface with audience members, contractors, board members, and other professional contacts.
- Able to do some heavy-lifting (when necessary).
What we provide
- Access to Sō Percussion’s Studio for rehearsals and practice sessions.
- The chance to meet and interact with not only the members of Sō Percussion, but with their roster of world renowned collaborators.
- Monthly mentorship sessions with Sō Percussion, Staff, and more.
- Minimum of 4 hours of paid work each month with the potential for more.
The internship has a range of commitments. Pre-COVID, Interns were expected to work 4 hours per week and help with producing concerts as needed. We have adapted to the current conditions and base work on project needs, we still provide all line items from the list above.
To apply for this position please fill out the form below. Sō percussion evaluates all forms at the end of the current month.